Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Eggs and Pumpkins

My daughter got chickens last year for 4H. We turned her project into our own source of eggs. Good idea you say, that's what I thought.

We have acquired a few more and now have a flow of eggs that set in the fridge because no one wants eggs for any meal except breakfast which we have no time for. This means we have lots of old eggs to feed the dog so he can have diarrhea.

I also have an ADHD daughter who gets tired of the chickens at feeding time but likes them at all other times.

We did try to sell some at the Farmer's Market this summer. This did not work well due to us not being Amish and the eggs not being the right shade of brown. I learned that brown has a taste. I never learned this in any of my Animal Science classes...stupid college!

I thought we had a break in the egg surplus. The hens stopped laying this fall even though I had given them 16 hours of light via a light in the hen house. On Sunday I unplugged the light to use the outlet for a drill. Today (Wednesday) I remembered to plug it back in. Today I had found 8 eggs. They started laying again with less light. Even the chickens around here don't react the way they should.

Yesterday my daughter added to our inventory of surplus items. She was at the store with my wife and found that they were giving away big pumpkins due to Halloween being over. She talked my wife into bringing home 5 big 30 lb ones. We already had 7 pumpkins left from Halloween. Now I have to use the pumpkins for excessive Thanksgiving decorations or something else.

Pumpkin Pies all around!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment